Friday, August 6, 2010

The Emotions of Money

Why is money so hard to manage?  I mean we're talking about sixth grade math.  I have come to the realization that it's hard because it's not just about the numbers.  It's all the emotions swirling around earning and spending money that make it so difficult to deal with.  This is the ugly side of money.  Today I want to talk specifically about fear.  This is the #1 emotion that I run into as a financial counselor.  Getting people to face their fear and denial is the most challenging and frustrating part of my job because I can't help them if they are paralyzed with it and in denial about their situation.


One of my financial counselor associates hit the nail on the head when he mentioned to me that every one needs a dentist, yet everyone doesn't go to the dentist.   Even when you're in pain, the fear of going to the dentist will keep some people from going anyway.  He likened what we do to being like a dentist, only for your wallet.  Some may need a check-up and others may need a root canal.  As a side note,  I hope Aaron doesn't mind that I borrowed his idea, because I thought it was brilliant.  If you are in the Kansas City area, please check him out, True North Financial Fitness Coaching.  Fear of what may or may not be needed, keeps some from trying in the first place.  Fear of actually facing the elephant in the room and fear of the ability to change things are completely normal when it comes to financial problems.  I firmly believe that if you've got the will, I've got the way for you to get help.  It's only too late if you think it is, because restoring hope is what I specialize in.
  
My point is that there are many emotions surrounding money.  From an early age our interactions with money will affect how we will use it as adults.  Think about some of your first memories of money.  Chances are, these are the roots of why you handle money the way you do. Fear is a huge stumbling block for a lot of people.  Please don't let it stop you from achieving your goals, especially the financial ones.   

No comments: